Hi Healthy Living Junkies! This is Annie and Andrea and we have a delicious healthy blueberry smoothie recipe for you. It’s our favorite blueberry smoothie recipe because not only does it taste amazing, it is incredibly good for you too! Blueberries are high in antioxidants, which is has all kinds of health benefits including cancer fighting properties, is heart healthy, and well as improves your complexion. Beauty in a cup? Sign us up! Flax seed is a healthy fat and aids in digestions, and the protein powder feeds your muscles. Bananas are a healthy carb and is also high in fiber and nutrients. Coconut milk is a great substitute for cow’s milk, is easier to digest and is also lactose free and has a rich creamy taste.
Healthy Blueberry Smoothie
Ingredients – 2 servings – Just half the recipe for one =)
1 cup of blueberries (frozen or fresh, we used frozen)
1 cup of coconut milk
1 scoop of protein powder (vanilla or unflavored)
2 teaspoons of flax seed (grounded)
Stevia (to taste)
Take all the ingredients and put it into a blender. Blend for 10-15 seconds. Pour in a cup and enjoy! =) Try out our Blueberry smoothie and tell us what you think! Better yet, show us your pictures!
I am always taking about building lean muscles in my workout videos, but today, I want to share with you the benefits of lean muscles. The reason why you want to have lean muscles is to increase your metabolism. Muscles consume more calories than fat. One pound of muscle burns about up to 6.5 calories per hour. Muscles burn 5.5 times more calories than fat tissues, which burn about 1.2 calories per pound per hour. If you work out, a pound of muscle can consume up to 10 calories per hour!
In fact, if you were to convert 5 pounds of fat to 5 pounds of muscles, you would burn 230 calories doing absolutely nothing at all. Muscles need calories, which is a form of energy, in order to sustain it. Therefore, the more lean muscles you have, the faster your metabolism becomes. The problem is, most people turn to dieting when they are trying to get in shape. Dieting actually causes you to lose lean muscles, which slows down your metabolism. Find out what you need to do instead of dieting in this , short video.
Muscles Burn Calories
In addition to increasing your metabolism, lean muscles also add shape and firmness to your body. Lean muscles also helps minimize cellulite and dimples on your legs and thighs by decreasing overall fat and firming up the muscles. Want a butt that makes Jennifer Lopez jealous? You can reshape your body simply by adding lean muscles where you desire it. It doesn’t matter what age you are or if you have ever worked out before. Your body is an incredible machine that is resilient and you will see results from working out in as little as a few days!
One of my favorite tricks before going out on a date or to an event is to do a mini workout before I leave. If I am wearing a short dress, I will do some squats to get a “pump” to my legs, giving them more shape and definition while firming them up. If I am wearing a sleeveless shirt, I will do a quick set of pushups and dips to tighten up my arms and upper body. It is a simple trick that will give you an instant boost of confidence!
P.S. If you are looking to get in shape quickly & be healthier at the same time, check out my beginner’s guide to weight loss video. I’ll go over step by step what you need to do so you can reach your weight loss goals. ❤
“Remember, being fit and healthy is a marathon, not a sprint. And I am here with you every step of the way.”
One of the best ways to kick start your morning is to do a workout. It starts your day off right, helping you stay motivated and make better food choices throughout the day. Next time you are in a crunch for time and can’t devote an hour to go to the gym, try my morning quick workout. Remember, staying fit is a journey, and I am with you every step of the way.
Looking to get in shape quickly & be healthier at the same time? Check out this educational weight loss video. ❤
Hi Healthy Living Junkies! With a new year comes New Year Resolutions to make noble changes to our lives. Many people vow to start exercising, lose weight, stop smoking, drink less, save more money, learn a new language, spend more time with family, and many more. And yes, I am one of those people. Every year, I create a huge list of New Year Resolutions I would like to accomplish in the new year, lofty goals and vows I make to myself.
Here is a partial list of my typical New Year Resolutions:
1) Lose weight – Yes, I am guilty of over indulging during holidays too. Check out this video to see what I do to lose weight fast.
2) Learn a new language – This has been on the list for over 8 years now… It just carries over each year
3) Walk more, drive less – This one has been difficult. The closest grocery store is a 15 minute drive up hill, and there is no accessible public transportation. =(
4) Spend more time with family – I have been doing pretty good with this one, I’ll admit. =)
5) Wash the dog more often – I’ll admit, my dog hates bathes and I hate giving him one… we are on the same page.
6) Wash my car more often – I promised my good friend and mechanic I would take better care of my car. And I know, rain is not the same as a car wash.
7) Remember to water the plants – My plants were not very happy last year…
This year, I decided instead of trying to make all the typical new year resolutions, I am going to make simple easy changes. Why? Simple. Because it is the little things we change that triggers the big ones. I recently read a great book, The Power of Habit: What we do in Life and Business, by Charles Duhigg, and research shows big changes are powered by little seemly unimportant little changes. So this year, I vow to make little changes in my life.
Here is my New Year Resolution:
1) Smile more – It is so simple, yet sometimes we forget to smile. Smiling elicits warmth, friendliness, kindness, and let’s be honest: We all look better with a smile on our faces. Plus, smile lines are so much more attractive than frown line, right? =)
Yes, that is my one new year resolution for 2014. Smile more.
With a smile on your face, you are more approachable, more happy, and other people will respond to that. I was at an Indian restaurant yesterday and my boyfriend and I walked in an hour before they closed. It was a slow night, and I could tell the staff was tired and ready to go home. A woman comes out with our drinks, and we make eye contact. I gave her a big warm smile, and her face light up and she returned a big warm smile back at me. It was awesome! We started talking, and we made a new friend. Everyone was happier, and it was a pleasant evening for everyone.
Want to know the secret to weight loss success? It has nothing to do with what you eat or how you exercise; It has to do with how you think. Your mind is a very powerful tool. Believing you can lose the weight and having a positive attitude makes a HUGE difference on whether you are successful or not. Of course, eating the right types of foods and exercising is important to your success. But in order to stay on track, mental commitment and a positive attitude is key.
Many people will decide to get in shape and go with a very rigid diet program and exercise regime. The problem is, because these diets and exercise programs are so hard to stay on, you will always end up giving in to temptation. What happens to your mind after eating that cookie or do nut? Unfortunately for most people, you get so upset that it is common to just give up and eat the whole box, since the “diet’ is now ruined.
“You can go as far as you want to.”
The key to getting in shape is to understand that life happens. Lose weight and staying in shape is a marathon, not a sprint. If you have a bad eating day, or skip a workout, this does not make you a failure, or ruins your goal. The key is to have the mental strength to love yourself no matter what, and honor the commitment to take better care of your body and your health. Train your mind to stay positive and believe you will succeed and you will. Thanks for reading and make it a great year!
Hi Healthy Living Junkies! You hear people talk about “Being Healthy”, “Eating Clean”, but what does it really mean to be healthy? How do you truly achieve a healthy lifestyle? Many people think being healthy is getting to the right body weight and losing the extra pounds of body fat they were holding on to…. and they can finally stop making effort, get off the “clean eating”, stop exercising or go to the gym, and their body will maintain itself. I hate to break it to you, but that is not true. I’ll be the first to admit I believed that I could stop trying to “be healthy” once I reached my goal, and my body will stay the same.
The truth is, living a healthy lifestyle is literally what it means: TO MAKE IT A LIFESTYLE. In order to stay healthy, be fit, and be in good physical and mental shape, you must constantly work at it.
Health Living Tips
1) Eat healthy: Making healthy foods choices is one of the most important, if not the most important, thing you can do to maintain a healthy lifestyle. Look for foods high in fiber, which will keep you feeling full fast, as well as low in Glycemic Index (GI), which will help prevent your blood sugar from spiking.
2) Drink plenty of water: Drinking water helps keep you hydrated and flushes the impurities from your body. Many times we mistaken thirst for hunger. Aim to drink half of your body weight in oz of water. Here’s a video on why drinking water is important for overall health.
3) Exercise regularly: Exercising regular not only helps you look better in clothes or on the beach, it also helps keep you strong, supporting your bones and improving your physical function. Weight lifting will help build shapely legs, thighs, butt, and flatten your core, as well as prevent osteoporosis, protect your back and neck, while preventing injuries.
4) Minimize toxins: Minimize your exposure to toxins by using PBA free products, buying organic foods, and using the “green” version of cleaning supplies. A great DIY cleaning solution for everyday household chores is vinegar and water. Check out this site for more ways to use this everyday inexpensive household item to clean your home. You can also minimize toxins by eating organic foods. Learn which produce have the most chemicals in this article.
5) Reduce stress: Stress is the silent killer in our modern life. It leads to premature illnesses, as well as unbalanced mental health. Exercising helps alleviate stress by allowing you to have a healthy outlet for it. Some great ways to relax are yoga, meditation, or simply relaxing with your eyes closed for a few minutes so you can regroup, decompress, and get centered.
Healthy living will keep you fit, strong, and improve your quality of life. It is the best way to stay in shape while being happy and healthy. =)