Ever get tired of just going to the gym? I know I sure do. One of my favorite ways keep myself active and mix things up is to take classes. I recently started taking Krav Maga and I love how it mixes fitness in with self defense. What is Krav Maga? Krav Maga is Israeli Martial Arts, used in the Israeli Military and now taught in the United States Military and law enforcement unit. Martial Arts usually takes many years to master. With Krav Maga, it is designed for real life scenarios and teaches you how to protect yourself in a short time. In this video, my good friend and Krav Maga Coach Mark Dong, from Krav Fit Now, explains what Krav Maga is, and goes over some self defense moves.
During the holiday season, there are lots of parties, get togethers, and dinner. And everywhere you turn, there will be tons of food, high calorie appetizers, and alcohol. Most people gain anywhere from 2-3 pounds during the holiday season and doesn’t lose it. Each year, the additional weight adds up, and 5 years later, you will have gained any where from 10 to 15 pounds. In this video, I share with my good friend and host of the show “Your Daily Dose of Inspiration” how to avoid weight gain during the holidays, as well as 5 easy tips to a healthier you.
Hi Healthy Living Junkies! Want a tasty way to eat your greens and get healthy omega 3’s? Try my new healthy teriyaki sword fish recipe. A 3-ounce serving of grilled swordfish provides 108 milligrams of EPA, and 656 milligrams of DHA. EPA and DHA are omega-3 fats that are found in fatty fish and shellfish. It is also a great source of Vitamin D. With a firm meaty texture, swordfish is a delicious way to change up your healthy protein.
Healthy Teriyaki Swordfish Salad
2 fillets of sword fish 5-7 oz
1 roma tomato, diced
1 clove of garlic, minced
1/4 cup of onions
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup raw sugar
1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
2 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 wedge of lemon (optional)
1-2 tablespoon olive oil
1 bag of mixed greens salad
3 cloves garlic
minced2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger root
3/4 cup olive oil
1/3 cup rice vinegar
1/2 cup soy sauce
3 tablespoons honey
1/4 cup water
Directions for Swordfish
Take the soy sauce, sugar, garlic, vinegar and ginger and mix to create marinade. Add uncooked sword fish and marinade in fridge for 1-2 hours. Heat olive oil in a pan on medium high. Add onions and sautee until lightly brown around the edges, about 2-4 minutes. Remove swordfish from marinade and put in pan. Discard marinade. Pan grill fish for 3-5 minutes on each side, or until cooked all the way through. Arrange salad in 2 bowls and add in tomatoes and swordfish and onions.
Direction for Dressing
In a 1 pint glass jar or larger, combine the garlic, ginger, olive oil, rice vinegar, soy sauce, honey, and water. Cover the jar with a tight fitting lid, and shake well. Remove lid, and heat jar in the microwave for 1 minute just to dissolve the honey. Let cool, and shake well before serving. Store covered in the refrigerator.
Add dressing and enjoy
Tell me what you think of the recipe. Or better yet, take a picture and tag me on Instagram at #healthylivingjunkie. I’d love to see your creations! Let’s stay connected online.
Hi Healthy Living Junkies! You hear people talk about “Being Healthy”, “Eating Clean”, but what does it really mean to be healthy? How do you truly achieve a healthy lifestyle? Many people think being healthy is getting to the right body weight and losing the extra pounds of body fat they were holding on to…. and they can finally stop making effort, get off the “clean eating”, stop exercising or go to the gym, and their body will maintain itself. I hate to break it to you, but that is not true. I’ll be the first to admit I believed that I could stop trying to “be healthy” once I reached my goal, and my body will stay the same.
The truth is, living a healthy lifestyle is literally what it means: TO MAKE IT A LIFESTYLE. In order to stay healthy, be fit, and be in good physical and mental shape, you must constantly work at it.
Health Living Tips
1) Eat healthy: Making healthy foods choices is one of the most important, if not the most important, thing you can do to maintain a healthy lifestyle. Look for foods high in fiber, which will keep you feeling full fast, as well as low in Glycemic Index (GI), which will help prevent your blood sugar from spiking.
2) Drink plenty of water: Drinking water helps keep you hydrated and flushes the impurities from your body. Many times we mistaken thirst for hunger. Aim to drink half of your body weight in oz of water. Here’s a video on why drinking water is important for overall health.
3) Exercise regularly: Exercising regular not only helps you look better in clothes or on the beach, it also helps keep you strong, supporting your bones and improving your physical function. Weight lifting will help build shapely legs, thighs, butt, and flatten your core, as well as prevent osteoporosis, protect your back and neck, while preventing injuries.
4) Minimize toxins: Minimize your exposure to toxins by using PBA free products, buying organic foods, and using the “green” version of cleaning supplies. A great DIY cleaning solution for everyday household chores is vinegar and water. Check out this site for more ways to use this everyday inexpensive household item to clean your home. You can also minimize toxins by eating organic foods. Learn which produce have the most chemicals in this article.
5) Reduce stress: Stress is the silent killer in our modern life. It leads to premature illnesses, as well as unbalanced mental health. Exercising helps alleviate stress by allowing you to have a healthy outlet for it. Some great ways to relax are yoga, meditation, or simply relaxing with your eyes closed for a few minutes so you can regroup, decompress, and get centered.
Healthy living will keep you fit, strong, and improve your quality of life. It is the best way to stay in shape while being happy and healthy. =)
This is Annie and I’ve got a great cardio upper body home workout for you that tone up your upper body and burn off body fat! It is part of the bikini body workout series. Tone up your arms, core, abs, back, and get your heart pumping at the same time! You don’t need any equipment and you can do the workout anywhere.
Cardio Upper Body Home Workout
3 rounds – 30 seconds of each exercise, 10 seconds rest time
Side to Side Plank
Hi Healthy Living Junkies! Can you lose 20 pounds in 1 month by not eating sugar? Hi, I’m Annie, and I’ll go over why eating sugar is bad for you and causing you to gain weight. I’ll go over what foods have sugar hidden in it and how to avoid them.
How to Lose 20 Pounds in 1 Month
Rule #1: Read the nutrition label and avoid anything with sugar as the first few ingredients
Rule #2: Avoid white foods like white bread, pasta, and white potatoes
Rule #3: Eat unprocessed foods that are high in fiber, at least 5 grams of fiber per serving